Victim's life changes forever after the incident that took place in Couch Park in NW Portland.

POLICE PHOTO - James Lionell McClureJames Lionell McClure, 52, has been sentenced to 70 months in prison after he stabbed a man in the heart in Couch Park on Glisan Street in Northwest Portland.

McClure has previously been convicted of 26 felonies, 11 misdemeanors and 34 parole violations, according to court records.

He stabbed a man in his chest on August 26, 2016. Detectives investigating the case say that McClure attacked the victim to steal his property.

The victim survived the stabbing. A witness, who was interviewed for the proceedings, said the victim screamed "he stabbed me in the heart!" soon after McClure had attacked him.

"A short struggle between McClure and our victim ensued. Ultimately, the victim collapsed," said Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Shawn Overstreet.

According to medical reports, the victim was dead for about 11 minutes before he was revived by the team at the Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, where he was transported by officers of the Portland Police Bureau.

The case was investigated by the Portland Police Bureau's Homicide Detail.

Almost two years later, on July 9, Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill announced a 70-month prison sentence for McClure. Back on May 9, he pleaded no contest to one count of assault in the second degree and all other charges were dismissed.

Upon his release, McClure will be under surveillance for another three years.

Prosecutors say the incident has changed the life of the victim forever.

"When he woke up in the hospital, he had no memory of the incident, no recollection of being in a relationship or even moving to Portland where he was working for about a year prior to the altercation with the defendant," informed Overstreet.

"Today, he lives out of state with family members who have to care for him as a result of brain damage sustained during the time when he was medically considered deceased," he continued.

Considering that the potential challenge in the case included the defendant claiming his actions were self-defense, it was decided after multiple discussions during the proceedings that justice would be served through a negotiated settlement.

McClure has accepted responsibility for his actions, prosecutors say.

Nisma Chauhan is a subeditor at The Express Tribune, Karachi, Pakistan. She wrote this story while serving at the Portland Tribune through the U.S.-Pakistan Professional Partnership in Journalism program. Follow her on Twiitter at @ChauhanNisma.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine