Sweet rides at 2018 Portland International Auto Show
The automotive industry is rapidly changing. Reflecting that, the 2018 Portland International Auto Show is focused on technology, connectivity, electrification and performance.
There are more Ride & Drive opportunities, more activities, more hands-on demonstrations, and more new cars than ever at this year's show, which runs Jan. 25-28 at the Oregon Convention Center.
Here are just a few of the all-new vehicles to check out this year:
• Pacific Northwest residents will be especially interested in the all-new 2018 Subaru Ascent mid-size SUV. With three rows of seating for up to seven passengers and a thrifty 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the Ascent also features Subaru's popular Symmetrical All Wheel Drive system.
• Truck enthusiasts will be excited to see the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 performance off-road model. It comes with a 2.8-liter Duramax turbo-diesel engine or a gas-powered 3.6-liter V6. The suspension has been strengthened and the ride height has been raised by two inches.
• On the heavy-duty side, Chevrolet is offering the Duramax 6.6-liter turbo-diesel V8, rated at 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque. Towing capacity on the 3500HD ranges up to 23,300 pounds.
• Environmentalists will be interested in the all-new 2018 Nissan Leaf, with 150 miles of range and ProPILOT Assist semi-autonomous driving.
• Honda will have both the EV and plug-in hybrid versions of its new Clarity alternative fuel vehicle.
• And Mitsubishi is offering an all-new plug-in hybrid version of its capable Outlander crossover SUV.
Also new this year is an exhibit called The Garage, where attendees can learn more about the products and services available to customize their new cars and garages. Live customizing projects will take place every day, and information will be provided about how to drive personal vehicles at Portland International Raceway.
Win a free Volkswagen Tiguan
One of the most popular attractions at the auto show each year is the new-car giveaway. This year the winning vehicle is a 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan. The SUV will be given away by the Metro Portland New Car Dealers Association, in partnership with Pamplin Media Group.
Show attendees can enter the drawing at the Pamplin Media Group booth, located next to the vehicle in the MLK Jr. lobby. The four finalists from each day will participate in the live final drawing at the Pamplin Media Group booth at 5 p.m. Sunday.
Ride & Drives
This year's show includes test-drives of new vehicles from Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and Volkswagen.
Every person who takes a test drive in a Ford will receive a coupon good for some free food at any of several Portland food trucks that will be parked on-site at the Convention Center.
Drivers must be over 18 and possess a valid driver's license to participate in any Ride & Drive activity.
Bring the kids
The entire show is family-friendly, with plenty of things for kids to do every day, including face painting and temporary tattoos at the Kid's Zone, along with balloon artists, an inflatable slide and kid-oriented snacks.
Sunday is officially Family Day, with kids 12 years and younger admitted free when accompanied by an adult.
Some things never get old, and many favorite attractions are back this year. They include The Great Outdoors exhibit of vehicle carrying systems for camping and outdoor gear.
Also returning is the Guess This Mess contest sponsored by Schnitzer Steel, the Axial Remote Control Rock Climbing course, and the Motorcycle Pavilion, which includes bikes from Harley-Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Triumph, BMW and many other brands.
The 2018 Portland International Auto Show is produced by the Metro Portland New Car Dealers Association. Pamplin Media Group is the media sponsor. You can learn more in two special sections in Pamplin newspapers before the show.
What: The largest display of new cars, trucks, vans and SUVs in the region, with additional family-friendly exhibits
When: Thursday, Jan. 25, to Sunday, Jan. 28. Begins with Sneak Peek Charity Preview Party on Wednesday, Jan. 24.
Hours: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
Where: Oregon Convention Center, 777 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tickets: Adults 13 years and older $12; seniors $10; military (with ID) $10; kids 7 to 12 $7; kids 6 years of age and under are free; kids under 12 free on Sunday Family Day with adults.
More info: http://portlandautoshow.com.