Brought to you by Jonathan Wisniewski - Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin (EVCOT) - EMERGENCY VETERINARY CLINIC INSIDER -

Jonathan Wisniewski - Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin (EVCOT) - EMERGENCY VETERINARY CLINIC INSIDERWhile most people know that rat poison is dangerous for their pets, many don't realize that there are two types of poisons that work in different ways.

The first type, anticoagulant rodenticides, cause the animal to bleed, often internally. When ingested, they may take as many as three to five days to develop signs. As the poison begins to take effect, the animal becomes pales and weak due to blood loss and may bleed externally from the nose and gums. If caught before clinical signs develop, treatment includes decontamination and Vitamin K supplements. If the animal is already showing signs of bleeding, plasmas and bloods transfusions will also be needed along with hospitalization and monitoring.

The second type, neurotoxin rodenticide, is particularly dangerous because there is no antidote. In this case, early detection and decontamination are important before the neurotoxin causes seizures from brain cell swelling and rupture. If signs develop, they may be irreversible and treatment will be geared at controlling seizures and treating clinical signs. Left untreated, clinical signs may progress to a prolonged seizure which may be fatal or require euthanasia.

To prevent accidental poisoning, always keep rat poisons out of reach of pets. If your pet is poisoned, bring the package along to the vet if possible so they can determine the type and best method of treatment. We hope you are never in this situation, but if the worst occurs, our compassionate veterinary team at EVCOT is here to help your pet.

Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin

8250 SW Tonka St

Tualatin, OR 97052


Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine